International applications

arrow down

Below you can find more information about application and admission process for INTERNATIONAL students (or students with Belgian nationality but holding a foreign diploma) to the Bachelor of Digital Arts and Entertainment at Howest University.



  • Applying to DAE is 50 EUR and is non-refundable.
  • Applications for the autumn semester begin on January 1st of the same year.
  • Application deadlines for the academic year 2022-2023 are:
    • June 15th 2022 for students who will need to apply for a visa in order to study in Belgium
    • July 10th 2022 for EU citizens and other applicants who don't need a visa.

The average processing time of your application is two to three weeks. Please take into account that Howest University of Applied Sciences is closed for summer recess between July 17th and August 15th 2022. During that time no emails will be answered, and no application files will be processed.

  • Our academic calendar is split up in 2 semesters. Students applying for degree programmes are only admitted at the start of the academic year, i.e. to begin their studies in the autumn semester (September). Starting classes in the spring semester is not possible, as courses in the second semester build on 1st semester curriculum. 
  • The information below is a summary of relevant parts from the Howest Education and Examination Code. Consult the official document in Dutch or in English.
  • For additional information you can contact our Admissions Officer Mr. Thobias Expeel at
  • Information on provisions for students with disabilities, contact student services.
  • Need more information? Check out our Guide for Prospective Students.




Below you will find all the admission requirements you need to complete your application. 




When applying to one of our Bachelor programmes, you need to send us a copy of your eligible and correctly legalised diploma and its transcripts. If these documents are in a language other than Dutch, French, German or English, they must be translated by a sworn translator. 


Still in secondary school?

If you are in your final year of secondary studies and only expect to graduate in the summer, you still can start your application after 1st of January. In order to do that you will need to provide us with your current secondary transcript AND an official document from your institution stating when you are expected to graduate and with what kind of diploma. We encourage students not to wait until the summer to apply to ensure that they can arrive to Belgium on time to start their educational journey at Howest, especially if they require a visa. 


The following foreign study certificates/diplomas are eligible for enrolment at Howest:

  • a “European Baccalaureate” diploma, awarded by the European Schools in Belgium or abroad
  • a “Diplôme du Baccalauréat International” awarded by the Office du Baccalauréat International in Geneva
  • a diploma awarded by the SHAPE school (NATO)
  • a Luxembourg «Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires or a «Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires Techniques»
  • a French «Baccalauréat» diploma (minimum score 10/20)
  • a German “Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur” diploma
  • a legalised “High School Diploma” (USA) with a “transcript of records”, listing at least 4 Advanced Placements (APs)
  • a legalised foreign Bachelor diploma or equivalent
  • a legalised foreign Master diploma or equivalent

The following diplomas give direct access to our programmes:

  • a Dutch Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) diploma
  • a Dutch Middelbaar Beroepsonderwijs (MBO) diploma of at least 3 to 4 years with qualification level 4
  • a Dutch Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propedeutisch examen

If you are in possession of one of these diplomas, you do not have to apply for admission and you can enroll directly via this link.


If you hold a secondary school diploma from the French or German-speaking Communities of Belgium, you do not need to submit an application for admission. Your diploma gives access to our bachelor's programmes, provided you can submit a proof of meeting the language requirement (Dutch or English, depending on the programme you choose). Send a copy of your diploma and proof of language proficiency to If you meet the language requirements, you will receive a ‘Certificate of Acceptance’ and you can register directly via this link. 


Different Diploma?

Diplomas other than the ones mentioned above, are only eligible for enrolment at Howest if it gives access to UNIVERSITY education in the country where it was obtained. During your application online you will need to provide us with a legalised copy of your diploma and transcripts of records AND have this 'access to university' document filled out and signed by one of the recognised authorities.


Admission examination

If you do not meet the conditions above, you may still apply via an admission examination. For further information please visit this section of our website: special procedures for the admission examination and contact Ms Els Gobbin at





The minimum level required is the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference. 

The following documents are accepted as proof of English language proficiency:

  • a recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 550 points (paper-based), 213 points (computer-based) or 79 points (internet-based);
  • a recent IELTS Certificate from the British Council: minimum score 5.5;
  • a GCSE Certificate English with score A*-C;
  • one of the following certificates of Cambridge English: First Certificate in English (FCE) or Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE):
  • a certificate of the “English Test” awarded by the University Language Center (UCT) of Ghent University;
  • an attestation of CEF level B2 English (or higher) with Duolungo Language Certificate 
  • a Dutch diploma “Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs” (VWO), or freely translated: “Preparatory Scientific Education” (VWO);
  • an International Baccalaureate diploma in English or with a minimum grade of 5 for the course English A or B high level or minimum grade 6 for the course English B standard level;
  • a European Baccalaureate diploma with English as first language and a score of at least 6, or as second language and a score of at least 7;
  • proof that you have successfully completed at least one year of a full-time English-taught study programme in secondary education or at least 30 credits English-taught study programme in higher education have been successfully completed;
  • a Duolingo Language Certificate with a minimum score of 110 or higher;
  • IELTS Indicator: minimum score of 6.5.

If you are planning to study in Dutch, the following is accepted as proof of Dutch language proficiency: 

  • proof that you have successfully completed at least a one year of a full-time Dutch-taught programme in secondary education or that at least 30 credits of a Dutch-taught study programme in higher education have been obtained;
  • a CEF certificate for level B2 Dutch (or higher), equivalent to the requirements set forth in the Proficiency Profile for Higher Education by the Dutch Language Union;
  • an NT2 certificate, Vantage 3.1+ 3.2  (speaking and writing) from a centre for adult education;
  • an Interuniversitaire Taaltest Nederlands voor Anderstaligen (ITNA) certificate at level B2;
  • an NVA5 certificate from the Universitair Centrum voor Talenonderwijs of UGent;
  • Educatief Startbekwaam or Educatief Professioneel certificate from CNaVT;
  • proof of successful Staatsexamen NTII Programma II (issued by the College voor Toetsen en Examens in Nederlands [College for Tests and Examinations in The Netherlands]);  




Make sure to write the motivation letter in the same language as the language of instruction of the program you have chosen.



  • Chinese students must also pass the APS-screening. Read more
  • For students from Cameroon, Nigeria or Ghana. The institution where you have obtained your diploma must send us a copy of your diploma and transcript of records in a stamped and sealed envelope.




At DAE, we teach everything from the basics, therefore you do not need any prior knowledge in order to enroll in our curriculum. Everyone with or without any skills gets an equal chance to join.




Below you can find more information about the application and admission process for International students (holding a foreign diploma) .





Applications will start on 1st of January. 

To start your application, log in to the application platform


During your online application you will be asked to upload several documents:

  • a copy of your passport/ID;
  • a legalised copy of your diploma with transcript of records (translated if necessary);
  • an official English language certificate;
  • a motivation letter.

Once your completed application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a ‘Provisional Certificate of Acceptance’. With this initial registration certificate and the financial certificate from Howest (blocked account), you can start your visa application (for those requiring visa).





Along with your Provisional Certificate of Acceptence you will receive instructions on arranging a blocked account at Howest. This will be obligatory for your visa application as a proof of financial means to support your stay in Belgium. 





After you have submitted your application online and once you have your final diploma and transcript of records, you need to send us a legalised copy of those documents (with translation if applicable) by post. 


Photocopies and digital certified versions are not accepted.

After the check of authenticity of your documents, you will receive a ''Certificate of Acceptance".





In the Certificate of Acceptance you will receive a link that will allow you to finalise your enrolment at Howest University of Applied Sciences. 


During this step you will need to upload your Certificate of Acceptance, your ID/permit for residence or visa that allows you to stay in Belgium, and sign your study contract.





Enrolment will only be considered complete after payment of your tuition fee has been received. This can be done by bank transfer or on campus by Bancontact. No cash or credit cards are accepted. 




For frequently asked questions, check the bottom section of our University Website.

We can't wait to welcome you to our Campus!